Do-it-yourself projects have become very common among homeowners. However, DIY-ing any kind of electrical work is not recommended by our Winnipeg electricians as it can lead to a disaster.
According to Canadian Fire Fighter, electrical fires account for 8 percent of all house fires in Canada.
You might also be tempted to fix an electrical problem yourself to save a couple of bucks. But one mistake could cause a short circuit and start a house fire. You may even electrocute yourself, causing major injury or even death.
Following are some of the major dangers involved in DIY electrical work.
Your Family and Property at Risk
Doing electrical work on your own puts you, your family, and your property at risk. That’s because, DIY electrical repairs can result in electrocution, shock, and even fire.
For instance, if you are DIY wiring your home and it is faulty, then it could lead to short circuits, causing an explosion. It is also possible for faulty wiring to remain undetected for years, leaving the homeowner to feel proud of an accomplished DIY project until a fire occurs.
Risk of Electric Shocks
One of the primary concerns when working around electricity is the probability of getting an electric shock.
Almost any voltage level presents the risk of electrical shock, but the risk is larger when working with high voltages. A typical residential home has an average voltage of 110 volts for lighting and power plugs. That’s enough to give you a nice shock. But some appliances have voltage levels as high as 240 volts, making them a dangerous load.
For this reason, professional electricians undergo many years of training and instruction before mastering to work safely with electricity.
Fire and Safety Hazards
As a novice DIY, your electrical component knowledge and safety protocols are too complicated to always follow correctly.
You have to consider all electrical components dangerous if you are not proficient in electrical work. The reason is, if electrical outlets of strange amperages, you can cause short circuits and fires.
Increase in Costs
The possibility of making a mistake is high if you are not qualified as an electrician. Even a small mistake can lead to a big disaster.
Sometimes, quick fixes restore current issues but may lead to other problems. In that case, you have to call an expert and that can increase your cost by up to 100%.
Failure to Pass Inspection
According to Winnipeg provincial law, homeowners are required to hire only licensed electricians to install, repair, or replace electrical systems.
The law also requires homeowners to have their electrical systems inspected by the local safety authority. That’s to ensure that they are installed correctly and will not pose any hazards.
So, you will need a permit to complete electrical work yourself. And even if you get one, you will need a licensed electrical inspector to inspect the completed work. Otherwise, you may have to pay a heavy fine for any electrical work that has not been inspected.
Be Safe: Hire a Professional Winnipeg Electrician
Above are some of the many reasons we recommend hiring electricians who are specifically trained to minimize immediate and long-term safety risks. They know what kind of wiring and components need to be installed where, and why.
If you are looking for reliable Winnipeg electricians for any kind of electrical work in Winnipeg, contact Endeavour Electricians. Our electricians are skilled and highly trained to ensure your safety while doing an electrical job.